Saturday, June 8, 2013

Rain, Rain, Go Away

     This week, I was supposed to begin recording some of the cemeteries on my list. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate, with Tropical Storm Andrea blanketing the state and unleashing an abundance of rain over us. Needless to say, it was back to the research lab for me! Although I was eager to get out in the field and start recording, I was able to catch up on some much needed research instead.

     I began my week by calling a few of the contacts from my list to let them know that I would be visiting their property. I was able to get ahold of two of my contacts and both were extremely cooperative. The Oak Grove Cemetery in Melbourne is owned by the city of Melbourne, which I thought would make it difficult to get ahold of the right person. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the city actually has a cemetery division. They were very cooperative and approved of my visit to the site. I also spoke to the owner of the J.S. Stone Memorial Cemetery who even offered to provide copies of documents and genealogical information related to the cemetery, which was an extremely thoughtful gesture. This information will make a great addition to the data I have already gathered, especially since there is very little information available online for the African American cemeteries that I am analyzing.

     The end of my week consisted of more historical cemetery research as well as compiling reports. For each cemetery recorded to the Florida Master Site File, there must be an accompanying report that provides a detailed description of the site. Included in said report is a brief history of the cemetery along with an analysis of its condition, pictures of the site, a map of the location of the cemetery, and any other significant information. Here is a great link that further explains the role of the FMSF in preserving cemeteries: http://www.flheritage.com/archaeology/cemeteries/index.cfm?page=site_file. On this site, there is also a link to the Florida Master Site File Cemetery Form as well as the Guide to the Historical Cemetery Form. This guide thoroughly explains how to complete the Cemetery Form, as well as what should be included in the attached report, and is an excellent resource.

Until next week,

Lareyne 

No comments:

Post a Comment