Sunday, June 30, 2013

Maps and Data Collection

I must have watched over twenty instructional videos throughout the course of this past week, but I did it! I learned the basics of Photoshop and was able to create maps to attach to the finalized reports for the Florida Master Site File. Basically, these maps provide a topographical image of the cemetery being recorded so that the whereabouts of its location are unmistakable. Here is an example of the map I made for the Melbourne Cemetery:
Aside from creating various maps, I also recorded the final cemetery on my list: Grant Community Cemetery. This cemetery is located in the city of Grant and was established in 1915. It is home to the graves of many of Grant's early white pioneers and is well maintained overall. 

Looking east toward the entrance to Grant Community Cemetery



Looking northeast

An example of grave articles at the cemetery


Beautiful marble obelisk. Note the biological growth on it that
plagues many cemeteries. 

Magnolia tree grave marker
Beautiful marble headstone

Large wooden cross

Bronze marker


Marble marker with deer figurine

Angel statue with various grave articles

Granite marker. I found the seashells and brain coral quite interesting 

Home made concrete marker

Even well kept cemeteries face threats. Note the sinking earth below this grave 

This week, I also began collecting data for my internship project. I started with the Grant Community Cemetery and went grave by grave, taking note of information such as the name on the marker, the type of marker (upright, flat or other), the marker material, and any maintenance issues affecting it. Overall, the cemetery was in good condition, with minor discrepancies such as biological growth, slight weathering to some markers, and a couple of graves threatened by sinking earth. 

Tomorrow, I will be working with a few volunteers to gather data from a cemetery in Melbourne. We will also be gathering data on Tuesday, July 2nd in Merritt Island and July 8-12 in both Merritt Island and Melbourne. If you are interested in helping out, I am always looking for more volunteers. Please contact me at lareyne.ellebracht@knights.ucf.edu for more information.

Until next week,
Lareyne 

No comments:

Post a Comment