Sunday, May 26, 2013

Research Galore!

          This week, I was somewhat of a hermit, as I stayed indoors and did a ton of research. I started off by revising the list of the 30-something historic cemeteries that are yet to be recorded and narrowed down those that I will be utilizing for my project. I chose eight cemeteries, four Caucasian and four African American, whose earliest interments range between the mid 1800’s to the early 1900’s. I thought it would make for more accurate results if the cemeteries I examine are within the same date range. The African American cemeteries I chose are: White Lily Cemetery in Merritt Island, J.S. Stone Memorial Cemetery in Melbourne, Davis Memorial Cemetery in Titusville and the Malabar African American Cemetery. The Caucasian cemeteries on my list are Georgiana Cemetery in Merritt Island, Oak Grove Cemetery in Melbourne, Oaklawn Memorial Gardens in Titusville, and the Malabar White Cemetery. Before any of these cemeteries can be recorded with the state, their owners must be contacted. Determining the owner of a historic cemetery is not as easy as it sounds, so I have spent some time this week trying to compile a list of contacts, as well as funeral homes associated with each cemetery.

          I have also been researching the history of each of these cemeteries. Every single one of the cemeteries has its own unique story to tell. So far, I have learned that J.S. Stone Memorial Cemetery was founded by one of the first African American pioneers of Melbourne, John S. Stone. It will be interesting to see how this site is maintained, since it is home to the graves of many significant African American pioneers from the Melbourne area. Another interesting bit of information that I came across: both White Lily and Malabar (African American) previously had churches on the property and both were burned down during the civil rights movement in the late 1950s/early 1960s. This might be something to keep in mind when analyzing these two sites. 

Historic marker at White Lily Cemetery

Until next week,
Lareyne


No comments:

Post a Comment